Thursday, April 30, 2009

Suggestions?

Okay, I know that I have five children and should have this figured out by now. I can not seem to teach my kids to pick up after themselves. I am not meaning a few things here and there...total messes. Everything they touch ends up on the floor. I am not even counting the number of wrappers I have pulled out of Kate's mouth. The problem is I don't want to do it for them because I want them to learn for themselves, not just to expect to come home from class and tada! the rooms are clean. I usually end up going with them to help them do it. If they go upstairs to clean on their own it is all out war between Alexa and Mikaela (please let us get the basement finished soon!). I know that I need to be more consistent with actually walking upstairs to check when they say "Yes I have cleaned my room" because guess what? They are lying. I have found clothes stuffed under beds, under dresses, in toy boxes and behind doors (to mention a few). I have heard people say that you should just throw away whatever they don't clean up, but I have tried that and I just end up having to buy them new pj's and underwear. Maybe I just need to go back downstairs and breathe for a minute.
Really this is probably just payback because I was the exact same way as a child. Justin says to just be patient, that they will learn eventually. In the meantime, I am so sick of the upstairs being a mess. I would LOVE to figure something out so that we could have a more orderly, peaceful home.

2 comments:

Allison said...

As soon as you figure this out please pass it along. My children think the magic fairy comes everyday and cleans the house including their bedrooms. I finally decided to stop and my house is always a mess!

Kimberli said...

Well... I'll have to check back and see what people say because I am very curious. And I know what you mean about "payback". It takes Lucy FOREVER to clean up anything (she plays as she goes) and I distinctly remember that driving my mother crazy.

Our Family

Our Family