Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dad's Retirement (18mo ago)

Justin just updated his work computer and while he was cleaning out is computer he found this old file that I had written for my dad's retirement party. We were each supposed to write our memories of dads working days. Here are a few of mine.


My memories of dads work:

-Travel! The van packed with people and luggage. The bed in the back. The cooler between the two front seats with Laurie sleeping on it. Eating sugar cereal out of a paper cup. Picking up turtles from the road. Dad and Grandpa in the water with the dolphins, diving for golf balls in Virginia-let’s not forget the red and white gingham tablecloth, and swimming everyday in Chicago (Mike popped my inflatable turtle L). Celebrating my 9th birthday in Florida. Disney World (Chocolate dipped banana) , Busch Gardens, Liberty Jail, Carthage Jail, Navoo, Sacred Grove, Hill Cumorah (catching fireflies), Mt. Rushmore, monuments in D.C. and St. Luis, and being left in the car at Graceland. Just to scratch the surface :).

-Dad packing his lunch at night. I remember sandwiches with Mayo (lots of it) and tomatoes. As an after work snack dad would eat a spoonful of peanut butter with a glass of milk. I also remember washing out is lunch containers (black lunch box) yuck!

-Every Friday morning, when dad had the day off, he would make a big breakfast--John would throw a fit because he didn’t want to go to school smelling like bacon. But, the pancakes with peanut butter and eggs with mustard were great!

-The candy bar hunt. Were they hiding under the drivers side seat, in his briefcase, or in the top of the closet? Maybe all three…:).


2 comments:

Allison said...

I remember your dad's BIG breakfasts on Saturday mornings! He was always up at the crack of dawn cooking his bacon. I think that's how he knew he could get us out of bed.

Shannon said...

That's hilarious... for whatever reason I remember many of those memories in the good old maroon and white van. I remember going on a few of the short road trips with you guys camping and such.

Our Family

Our Family