Last week was a rough one. Kate was very sick. I have never had a child that sick before. She couldn't breathe. It started with a cough at night and then she would be fine during the day. Then on the third day, the cough lasted through the day. By the fourth day she was coughing a lot, had a fever and wouldn't eat or do anything. I knew she wasn't getting enough oxygen by the way she was breathing(she has had breathing problems in the past) so I took her into the doctor and her oxygen level was 87. They gave her a breathing treatment of albuterol sulfate (she is on albuterol daily) and it only brought her level to 88. We waited 20 min and gave her another treatment and it raised into the 90's. The dr. just kept looking at her and telling me she wasn't moving much air. She was almost hospitalized, but I told them to write down what I needed to do during the night and I could do it. The dr. gave me the number to page him during the night in case she couldn't make it 4 hrs without a treatment. Well, she really couldn't but Justin and I were so exhausted we didn't call until 6 the next morning. We had to give her back to back treatments to get her breathing alright again. Long story short. She is now on steroids, antibiotic, and two asthma medications and is doing much better. She still has crap in her lungs, so I am still a little worried, but she is doing well for now. It was the first time I was seriously worried that one of my kids might not get better. I am so grateful she is healing.
In the meantime, Halloween was fun. Justin and I took turns going to parties while the other one would stay home with Kate. I loved the nice weather. Nate had a basketball game (they won) and then we took the kids trick or treating down main st. Gary and Tiffany made soup and doughnuts and then we went trick or treating for real. The kids have way too much candy, but they had a great time.
This week we are recovering from last week, enjoying having Justin home before he leaves for the Philippines next week and loving the nice weather.
4 comments:
I'm so sorry she was that sick. It sounds so much like Maggie, BUT after 2 years of the cough and a
2nd opinion--they think she has asthma too. I have to take her to a lung specialist @ Primary's in Dec. I do know in between breathing treatments just give them popsicles or anything cold to keeep their airways open, maybe too late now, but that's what they've always told me. I am glad that you got to have a little Halloween fun:)
I hope Kate is feeling better! That is so scary.
poor little Kate...glad she's doing better.
And I think George is jealous of the Philippines trip!
Oh man! That's too bad. I hate it when they are sick. Those steroids are awesome though... I think. Cameron has had asthma since he was 18 months old. When it gets really bad we give him a round of steroids and within 6 hours he is a new kid! Hopefully she keeps doing better
Post a Comment