Sunday, October 5, 2008

Child Labor

Nathan has a good friend by the name of Daniel Stodmeister. He is one of those children that you like your child to be around. Well, Daniel has some "connections" with a raspberry farmer. He gets to go pick rasperries for a 1.25 a lb. Nathan thought that the idea of having a paying job sounded pretty good. Justin and I thougt the idea of Nathan learning how to work hard sounded great. Daniel was able to get Nathan in on that gig and he went Monday after school. Justin and I were a little nervous. We hoped that he really would work hard and stick with it for two hours. When he finished he had earned $5. It was really sweet because he spent $3 of his hard earned cash to buy me two small containers of the raspberries he had just picked. He knew that I would like them and thought that we could make shakes with them for family night. We did and they were very good.
Mikaela always wants to do whatever Nathan does so when Nate went back on Wednesday, so did Mikaela. She is funny because she earned more that Nate did and was very proud of that. Nate claims that he found the raspberries and she took them before he had the chance. I went to pick them up from "work" that day and had my worries calmed when the owner intoduced himself and said that they were good workers.
On Friday we recieved a call asking for them to go back because they had recieved a large order that they needed help filling so I guess they are happy with their work. So far they have earned an average of $5 a day. I am excited that they have found something that will teach them that earning and saving money takes time and hard work. Who knows how long it will last, but they haven't complained about going. In fact, they still seem to think it is pretty great. That may have something to do with working with friends.
And hey, the farmer is getting a pretty good deal on labor.

No comments:

Our Family

Our Family