Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sanya, China

On the second day of our cruise, we visited Sanya, China. Sanya is considered the Hawaii of China. It is where those from the mainland go for vacation. It was beautiful with lush vegetation. While still about an hour from Sanya, Justin, who had been in meetings, came walking into our room and saw this:




WELCOME TO CHINA! It was right outside our deck. I must say, it was a little intimidating. Especially when it started to turn toward us. All the movies I have seen came running through my head and I half expected a missile to hit us. Not sure why this submarine decided to come up and say Hi!, but it did. I had been out on our deck not 5 min. before and it wasn't there then. I guess they just wanted us to know they were aware of our presence.



Originally, Justin and I had signed up for a 4hr. day at the beach with spa treatment. That particular package was cancelled so we ended up on an 8hr. tour of a Buddhist cultural center. It was extremely hot and humid (if you can't tell by my dripping body). There were also no toilets anywhere we went. Only holes in the floor, which I have also seen in many other Asian countries, but they usually have at least one western toilet. At the pearl factory they took us on a tour of later, it only had what looked like a trough in the floor and it smelled awful!! Luckily, due to the massive amounts of fluid lost through sweat, I never needed to use the bathroom that badly. Other than those two inconveniences, it was beautiful and we had a great time.




On my travels through Asia, I have developed a love for elephants. I think they are amazing. They are intelligent, loving and are known for longevity which when I moved to Korea with Melanoma bonded me with them. I now collect carved elephants from all over the world -who knew they would have them in Prague? I couldn't fit this one into my suitcase, so I settled for a picture.


This particular Budha is known as the largest (well, tallest at least). The guide made a point of telling us how it was so many feet taller than the Statue of Liberty. It has three faces, each representing Justice, Mercy and ? it is sad how quickly I forget.


Random guy



Random bell. Justin insisted on hitting it and I was worried it was some sacred bell that would offend everyone.



The Monks chanting and walking around the Buddha. Justin and I thought it pretty funny when the guy in the back slyly slips his cell phone out of his sleeve and starts checking something out. I don't blame him. It looked pretty boring to me too.


One of the Temples.

1 comment:

Justin said...

I've always wanted to hit a gong in China. No one was offended and it was awesome!
The submarine was also cool. I little intimidating, but cool. that was an awesome trip!

Our Family

Our Family