Wednesday, October 19, 2011

HoiAn and Danang, Vietnam

Our second stop on our cruise took us to Vietnam. We had been really excited to visit Vietnam because Justin's dad served there during the war. In fact, he served in Danang. Vietnam is a beautiful country. It is one of those places that I didn't know I wanted to visit, but I am really glad that I did. Warning: Tons of pictures.

Hoi An

I loved this city because of the quaint feel. I loved the buildings, the tree lined streets and the locals.



Rick-shaws. We didn't go for a ride, but had fun watching others.



Some of the shops we visited. This is where I found my Chanel watches :).



Justin loved this lady because she just sat on the street in a Kimchee squat, selling whistles. Reminded him of Korea, I think. Of course we had to buy a few.




Woman taking a break in the shade. I have often wondered why locals wear long sleeves and pants in such hot, humid weather? Provides protection from the sun, I guess.



We also visited a silk factory. This is where a lot of young girls, who are forced to drop out of school to help with family finances, work. I know this is not a great picture, but it is the only one I had of our two friends in red. Two ladies from England, also on our cruise. They were awesome! Loved them. Laurie tells me that this is going to be she and I in a few years. Also in the picture, the silk worms in the back.

One of the girls sewing a picture. I was amazed at what they could do. They would copy a photograph and make it look just like it. I wish I could have afforded one of the finished products, but they were a bit pricey. I would charge a lot for that much work also.

Between Danang and Hoi An. An example of the living conditions as we were driving through. So many of these countries have awful living conditions. Makes me appreciate my own living conditions, albeit rather guiltily. These still beat Malaysia, however.


Danang
Marble Mountain. This is one of the landmarks that Guy told us to look for. Luckily, a stop at Marble Mountain was on the agenda.

This is the American Military base (or what used to be) according to our tour guide. Is this where you were Guy? It was right in front of Marble Mountain.

Fence going around the base. Reminded me of Guy since he was MP.


Picture of Marble Mountain from the back. While visiting Marble factory. I was able to get a marble elephant. :)

Men working on marble figures. Again, amazed by their abilities. Again, wanted to buy a beautiful table, but at 3 grand decided against it. Elephant had to do.

Last stop on tour, China Beach. It was a quick visit, but loved it.


Fishing boats coming in at the end of the day. Vietnam's largest Buddha statue in the background.

No comments:

Our Family

Our Family