Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Palmyra

We just returned from a trip to Cooperstown, NY where Nate participated in a baseball tournament. We flew into Syracuse and then drove into Palmyra. We stayed in the Palmyra Inn which is right by the temple, sacred grove, and Joseph Smith home. Most of the kids were home with Grandma, but Nate and Mikaela were with us and I was really looking forward to taking them to these places because I still remember going there when I was young and the impact it had on my testimony. We drove to Palmyra Thursday night and then woke early to walk through the grove. Nate was a bit grumpy because...
He didn't exactly end up with the haircut he had in mind. I think that he was wanting a faux-hawk which is what several of his team-mates were sporting for the tournament. He told the lady mohawk however and he got one. Justin and I were busy renting a car (Justin) and watching the luggage (me) and so when I walked in and saw this, I wanted to throw up at first. I then decided that wouldn't help anyone and that it was only hair and that hair grows back and all that good stuff we tell ourselves. Nate wanted to cry I think. Anyway, it didn't exactly put him in the right frame of mind for the Sacred Grove.
By the time we got to the Joseph Smith house however, he was doing better. I think that by that time the spirit was able to get to him and he wasn't so worried about it anymore. He gave an audible sigh of relief however, when 11 days later we were able to cut off the mohawk and he was left with a summer buzz cut.
To get back to Palmyra. Here are a few pictures of the great things we saw. I think my favorite place was in the upstairs bedroom of the Smith log house where the angel Moroni appeared to Joseph. Well, the spirit in the Sacred Grove really can't be beat actually. I was amazed at the feelings that place can bring to the surface. It truly is a sacred place.Sacred Grove

Nate looking so happy.

A little bit of a smile creeping out.

Upstairs bedroom of Smith log home.

Lucy's big kitchen in the frame home.

No comments:

Our Family

Our Family