This is an old post from March or April?
I have a neighbor friend, Deidre Henderson, who is really into politics. She was the campaign manager for Representative Jason Chafetz and she is now running for the state senate. She sent an invitation out on facebook to a group of friends inviting us to go with her to the capital to hear Jason Chafetz speak to the legislators and to then go to lunch. I am always happy to join in on almost any adventure, so I signed up for the fun. I am somewhat interested in politics. Mostly just wanting to be informed enough to vote intelligently. I also do have a great love for this country and I do care what happens to it. I thought this would be a good learning experience and it was.
Deidre tried to educate us as we drove to Salt Lake (the differences between the Senate and the House of Representatives and that fact that together they make up Congress etc.). When we arrived at the Capital we went into the House legislation room and also the Senate legislation room to watch the proceedings for awhile. Deidre introduced us to Chafetz, who introduced us to the Governor. We were taken on a tour of the Senate floor and a lot of the Capital. After Chafetz's speech, we went to lunch at the Blue Lemon (yummy sweet potato fries) and we discussed several different political subjects. It was fun to pick the brains of people who are much more informed than I am. As we were getting ready to leave, Jason showed up with his chief of staff and another friend. At the end of the day, I learned a lot, including the fact that I don't know near as much as I should.
No comments:
Post a Comment